ABS: Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymer
Abbreviation: ABS, A for acrylonitrile, B for butadiene, S for styrene
CAS No.: 9003-56-9
Molecular formula: C45H51N3X2
Molecular weight: 633.91
I. Physical properties
ABS material is a commonly used engineering plastic with high strength and low weight. It is opaque, light ivory in appearance, non-toxic, tasteless, and has the characteristics of toughness, hardness and rigidity.
It burns slowly and with yellow flame and black smoke. After burning, the plastic softens and burns with emitting special cinnamon smell, but no molten drops.
Molding shrinkage: 0.4-0.7%
Molding temperature: 200-240℃
Drying condition: 80-90℃/2hours
II. Chemical properties
ABS material has good overall performance, high impact strength, good chemical stability and good electrical properties. Good fusion with 372 plexiglass, can be made into two-color plastic parts, and the surface can be chrome-plated and painted.
Flowability is a little worse than HIPS, better than PMMA, PC, etc., generally can be divided into high impact, high heat resistance, flame retardant, enhanced, transparent and other levels.
III. Forming characteristics
The temperature required for printing ABS is a little higher than PLA, generally around 230 degrees. Toxic odor is produced when printing, so try to keep the room ventilated during the printing process.
- Amorphous material, medium fluidity, large moisture absorption, must be fully dried, the surface requires glossy plastic parts must be preheated and dried for a long time.
- It is advisable to take high material temperature, but the material temperature is too high easy to decompose (decomposition temperature is > 270 degrees), for high precision plastic parts, the mold temperature should be 50-60 degrees, for high gloss, heat-resistant plastic parts, the mold temperature should be 60-80 degrees.
- If you want to solve the problem of water clamping, you need to improve the fluidity of the material by taking high material temperature, high mold temperature, or change the water level and other methods.
- if forming heat-resistant or flame-retardant grade materials, the surface of the mold will remain plastic decomposition after 3-7 days of production, resulting in the mold surface shiny, the mold needs to be cleaned up in a timely manner, while the mold surface needs to increase the exhaust position.
- in the 3D printing industry often use acetone to do surface treatment.
IV. Advantages and disadvantages
ABS is currently the largest production, the most widely used polymer, it will be PS, SAN, BS of the various properties of the organic unity, both tough, hard, rigid phase balance of excellent mechanical properties.
It has many advantages, such as good dimensional stability, electrical properties, abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, dyeing, molding and machining properties.
ABS is resistant to water, inorganic salts, alkalis and acids, insoluble in most alcohols and hydrocarbon solvents, and readily soluble in aldehydes, ketones, esters and some chlorinated hydrocarbons.
The disadvantages are lower heat deflection temperature, combustibility and poor weather resistance.